I Almost Agreed With Margaret Wente

... then she reverted back to being a bitch, but almost, I almost agreed with her.

The article in question is her piece in the Globe about Quebec's student protests, the militant CLASSE group, and the "future baristas" of the Canadian job market that apparently make up these protests. Wente is right in the sense that the protests going on in Quebec are pretty much useless, fronts for militantly left-wing students who are protesting against an increase in fees that will take Quebec from being the region with the lowest tuition fees on the continent, to the region with the lowest tuition fees on the continent. Combined with increasing intransigence and in some cases violence, the student protests, and CLASSE in particular, are wasting everyone's time.

And this is from someone who initially supported the protesters, because hey, tuition fees suck, I know.

But then Wente, in her classic style, essentially bombed any student who is currently taking classes in social sciences:

The protesters do not include accounting, science and engineering students, who have better things to do than hurl projectiles at police. They’re the sociology, anthropology, philosophy, arts, and victim-studies students, whose degrees are increasingly worthless in a world that increasingly demands hard skills. The world will not be kind to them. They’re the baristas of tomorrow and they don’t even know it, because the adults in their lives have sheltered them and encouraged their mass flight from reality.
Well thanks, Margaret, for first lumping me, an individual who excels in sociology, anthropology, and other social sciences, with these clowns. Also, thank you for saying the fields which I excel in, will take me nowhere in life, and that this is because of my family, and so on.

Yes, there's a valid point to be made that social science degrees are a dime a dozen right now, and the job markets these degrees are relevant for are increasingly shrinking. That is the sad reality, of course.

But you know, not everyone can get into accounting, science, and engineering. Hell, I'd love to but frankly, my strengths aren't in those fields. My strengths are with history and psychology and anthropology and, yes, politics.

What would Margaret have me do, I wonder? Play my hand badly with degrees that, sure, are probably more in demand right now? Waste my time trying to earn a degree where I don't have strengths in? Brilliant.

Wente is a washed-up hack, and I shouldn't take it personally, I get that, but how ignorant. Hopefully the G&M retires her sooner rather than later.

I Almost Agreed With Margaret Wente Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown
 
personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing, personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing,